Wednesday, August 15, 2012

my favorite quilt ever

Can you see the cows on this quilt?  They are too cute.  When I was in college at UC Davis, I had a cow my freshman year.  Her name was Liesl.  She was a dairy cow and I tried to train her to walk in a circle, stand still on command and set up (move her legs into a specific position).  We had a contest and showed off our cows.  I think I came in 5th out of 8 cows.  The night before the show, I washed her and brushed her and then slept in the dairy barn next to her so when she pooped I could clean it up and she didn't get dirty.

When I was a junior in college, I lived in the dairy barns.  In exchange for helping with the feeding one weekend a month, I got free room.  My room mate was crazy and had a boyfriend in Japan that she would spend hours every night talking to.  She chewed tobacco and put her spit in bottles that she left around the room.  It was so gross, but I loved getting up at 4am to help move the cows and feed them.  We had to shovel tons of alfalfa cubes and grain into the troughs and then lift and throw bales of hay and straw.  So tiring, but I loved the smell of the cows and the feed.  I loved the baby cows being born and watching the milking process.  Oh, those were the days.  I used to take my kids out there when they were little and they didn't find the smell so wonderful.

1 comment:

Needled Mom said...

What wonderful memories. I can see why cows hold a special place in your heart.